Question
Posted by: nutty | 2005/07/09

peanut butter

hi,

i recently consulted a dietician, and was surprised to discover that peanut butter is not as bad for you as many people think! she suggested a slice of wholewheat toast with peanut butter if one feels peckish (as opposed to rusks, and biscuits) what is your take on this? why is it that peanut butter is "good" for you?

Dear Nutty
I don't know where the idea originated that peanut butter is 'bad' for you. Except for having a relatively high energy content, peanut butter is an excellent food which contains monounsaturated fatty acids that are particularly beneficial to the heart. If you have your slice of wholewheat toast with 1 t of peanut butter, you will not be endangering your diet and will be obtaining good fats instead to the saturated and trans-fats that are often found in biscuits and other baked products.
Enjoy

3
Posted by: pinky | 2005/10/04

glad to find this out as i love the stuff...not to be eatten all the time ive got that bit, but can any one tell me are nuts fattning i.e, nuts n raisins as i am starting a diet today and just brought some mixed nuts and raisins to snack on is this ok???

Reply to pinky
Posted by: C | 2005/07/11

Peanut butter is considered a healthy fat, it is in the same category as avocado pears and certain raw nuts etc. Therefore, when eaten in moderation i.e 2 tsp a day, it is considered healthy more that this and it becomes fattning.

Reply to C
Posted by: Fit for life | 2005/07/10

I am not sure about peanut butter but if you are peckish - try eating nuts - RAW not roasted or salted. You may try giant peanuts, brazils, walnuts, peccan nuts, etc etc. I live and eat in accord with a programe designed by Harvey Diamond called Fit for life - eat fruit!! Read the book fit for life - its worked for me.

Reply to Fit for life