Question
Posted by: MrD | 2005/07/08

PCR Test

How soon after exposure can you have a PCR test done?
I have heard it can be done as soon as 7 days after exposure, but the norm is 14 days?

Where can I have a test done, and how long does it take to get results back?

thanks

Expert ImageArchive

It is better to wait for 14 - 18 days before you go for the test. A medical doctor or clinic will have to refer you. Pathology labs do not do these test without a referring doctor or clinic. Depending on the lab it usually take a day or two. Some lab may take even longer.

1
Posted by: Backontrack | 2005/07/08

The PCR is accurate very early, but is only validated at 28 days. Pathologists recommend testing at 14-21 days post exposure.

Reply to Backontrack