Question
Posted by: Cawi | 2007/03/27

PCOS & Weightloss

I was diagnosed with PCOS in November 2005 when I noticed that I was gaining weight despite the fact that my diet had not changed and I started to grow some facial hair.
I have been very unhappy about the weight gain (15kg's) as I worked very hard to stay in good shape. I believe that if I loose the weight, my hormones will eventually reach some form of homeostatsis again... and the hair growth will be less... but I just cant loose weight! Every time I loose about 3 kg's, the just come back again, which makes me think that it's only my water levels fluctuating. My calory intake for the day is around 1400cal split into smaller meals throughout the day and I excercise once a day. Please help!!

Dear Cawi
If you read my DietDoc Topic of last week, you may have noticed that patients with PCOS need to follow what is called a low-GI, low-fat diet because a very high percentage of these patients suffer from insulin resistance. It is advisable for you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with the low-Gi, low-fat diet. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for my article which was entitled Diet and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) to obtain more info. You are correct that most patients do get better control of their hormones if they can just lose 10% of their weight. So do see a dietitian ASAP.
Keep up the good work with the exercise as this helps to control weight and lowers blood insulin levels.