Question
Posted by: CK | 2007/03/22

Pcos vs PCO?

Hi Doc,
My gynae recently diagnosed me with polycystic ovaries but not the syndrome...what's the difference?
I haven't had my period for over 4 months - will it ever happen naturally?
Do the cysts on the ovaries ever go away?

Also, I've been having very sharp pains daily which are almost like PMS pains but I believe it's related to the cysts - am I right?

Thanks for the advice!

PCO means that the ovaries have cysts on scan but you do not have all the clinical features- obesity, excessive hair, acne. If you have not had periods for 4 months, you will need treatment to bring them back. The cysts remain but the symptoms can be treated. They would not cause pain.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2007/03/22

I also have PCO not PCOS. I think the difference is that only our ovaries as such have cysts, we dont have the other symptoms that go with PCOS like being overweight, acne, high testosterone levels, abnormal hair growth, insulin resistance, its just more to do with our ovaries only. I had to take Provera to bring my period back but that was only once when I had a 3 month cycle. As far as I know the cysts never go away. I'm not sure what the pains are, I dont really experience any pain.

Reply to Dee