Question
Posted by: Imza | 2004/10/28

PCOS Update

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I last sent a posting but I have been reading your postings. I don't know if you all recall but I was diagnosed with PCOS almost over two years ago and have been on glucophage for what seems like forever. I was never consistent with my intake of glucopahge and hence never saw the results. I have a very good gynae and he has put me on glucophage again. I am now on my third repeat and taking it religiously and still no sign of periods. I an very anxious to get my periods cause he said that once I get them we'll start on a fertility program ( some injections of soe sort).

I am 26 and married now for two years with no children. What's the worst that could come after PCOS? What if glucophage doesn't work? What other term will be given to my condition?

If the glucophage does not work, the next step would be to start on ovulation induction agents (either Clomid or the injections). Weight loss is also important if you are overweight.

3
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/28

Well, the way I see it, we're in this together. We both want kids and she would be just at supportive of me if I had any problems right ?

Too often you see too many women that go throguh this all alone and it makes you wonder why their husbands aren't supportive of them. It's almost like only the woman wants to have kids and to the husbands it's just by the way.

You'd be surprised how many women we see at the doctor's that are all alone, and not just one one occasion, but on a few occasions. It's sad really.

As far as the stress goes, I try to do everything I can to try not to contribute to it in any way, and to help her with whatever I can.

Reply to FH
Posted by: Imza | 2004/10/28

Wow! your wife should be very grateful to have a supportive hubby like yourself. And BIG UPS to all the supportive and understanding husbands out there.

It' good to hear that all's well with your wife. I am also on Atkins diet and that is working at least. Glucophage has reduced my abnormal cravings. I am taking 3 x 850mg tabs a day, and take folic acid, evening primrose with b12 and Zinc. I have turnde into a health freak. I do admit that stress contributes a lot to infertility, but if someone can come up with a mechanism oh how not to fret about one's own well being then I'll be very glad.

Reply to Imza
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/28

Hello Imza

My heart goes out to you. My wife was diagnosed with PCOS early this year and she has also been on Glucophage ever since. It's quite a strong dosage, 2 x 850mg tabs a day (1 morning and one night).

She has been getting her periods regularly for the last 3 months or so, and we were also due to be going onto injections as well. But at the last checkup at the beginning of August, her blood insulin level was way too high, even though we've been on an eating plan prescribed by a dietitian and she's kept to it religiously, and also has lost over 5kgs in the last 3 months.

The dietitian also couldn't understand that and said that stress plays a big part in your insulin production as well, and to de-stress a little. As you probably know that's easier said than done.

We took a break for September and are only going back to the doctors at her next period which is probably in the next week or 2, and if all the blood results and scans come back okay, we'll probably be going onto injections.

Our one major motivation is that my brother and sister in law who had been trying to fall pregnant for the last 8 years last month had a little baby boy, also after consulting the same doctor that we are currently seeing.

There is always hope.

I'll hold thumbs for you.

Reply to FH