Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2005/07/16

PCOS - the Pill & Metaformin

Hi there. My gynae recently diagnosed me with PCOS. Luckily, no cycsts have developed on my ovaries. Unfortunately, my gynae is not very talkative and hard to get answers out of, so I hope you can help answer two questions for me please.
1. My Gynae has suggested I remain on the Pill until I want to fall pregnant. Does this help eliminate any possible developing cysts?
2. My GP has given me Metaformin for my Insulin Resistance. I believe this can help restore the hormonal levels and induce ovulation. Will this and the Pill not contradict each other?
I hope you can help! Many thanks!

The problem with PCOS is that normal hormonal production does not occur, and this has a variety of effects. The Pill helps rectify the hormone production. You are correct about the Metformin. It will not interfere with the Pill.