Question
Posted by: anna | 2003/03/05

PCOS, the pill and metformin

Dear Cyberdoc

I was put on the pill two years ago after a mild case of PCOS was diagnosed at age 37. I am also on Metformin to stimulate a rather tardy metabolism (I am not diabetic). I read recently that Metformin stimulates ovulation, but that the pill suppresses it. Do these two medications then work against each other? Should I stop one or the other? Any other medication you can suggest?

Anna

Anna, metformin doesn’t stimulate ovulation, but it might help make people with PCOS fall pregnant by addressing the glucose intolerance that PCOS sufferers have. I would stay on both drugs until it’s not necessary to take the pill anymore. Good luck.