Question
Posted by: LZ | 2006/04/20

PCOS & Ovarian drilling

I've read on a website that ovarian drilling can help up to 80% of woman with PCOS to have regular cycles. Is this true? I'm 27 and never had a regular cycle. I've been diagnosed with PCOS 3 years ago and already had one failed ICSI (it took much longer than normal to stimulate my ovaries). Neither my gynae nor the FS ever mentioned anything like a laparoscopy or ovarian drilling. Would you advise this?

Dear LZ

Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is a treatment option for PCOS. However there is still significant debate in the literature as to the optimum number of drilling sites per ovary. There has been concern expressed with regards to the post operative formation of adhesions around the ovary as the consequence of ovarian drilling. In our experience, the return to ovulation and the conception following ovarian drilling is significantly below the 80% that you have mentioned an according o literature reviews this figure is very difficult to quantify.
In most cases the benefits of ovarian drilling is seen in the initial 6-9 months following the laparoscopy, but there is a tendency for irregular menstruation and an ovulation to return beyond 9 months.

It is also necessary for patients who have had ovarian drilling to undergo induction of ovulation and some form of assisted reproduction to maximise the conception potential.
Also concerned about the necessity for the iCSI as this would imply an additional male factor problem and this together with the PCOS might strongly suggest need for repeat IVF/ICSI cycles rather than opting for the drilling.