Question
Posted by: latish | 2005/11/21

PCOS HELP

I am 23 yrs old & I have been to the gynae for a pap smear,had a blood test to see the pattern of my hormone levels,my insulin level was above the normal & was told i have pcos & retroverted uterus & she has booked me for a D&C,Laproscopy & also to change the positioning of my uterus
as it is positioned at the back instead of it being in front.Please can someone help to give me info on these operations as i am not
familiar with it & is it advisable to have all of these done without trying medication as a first option.

Many women have retroverted uteruses and it is not usually necessary to correct them. If you have PCOS and are not ovulating, it seems like the first step would be medication to stimulate ovualtion. It may be that the doctor suspects another problem, such as endometriosis and is therefore doing the laparoscopy.

4
Posted by: V | 2005/11/22

Hi PS,
Just saw your posting and it did give me hope. We're also trying to conceive. I've been off the pill since January, and coudln't fall preg. I have a 3yr old already. I was then diagnosed with PCOS and I've been on metformin since May. And I was told that I need to lose some body fat - I'm 63kg. I've got an appointment with my gynae on Sat and I'm hoping that he puts me on Clomid.

Did you go onto Clomid immediately after being diagnosed with PCOS? Was that the first step?

Reply to V
Posted by: PS | 2005/11/22

Sorry - also mean't to say that I was diagnosed with PCOS in August and conceived after 1 month on 50mg Clomid. PCOS does not have to be the end of the world.

Why has she advised a D&C?

Reply to PS
Posted by: PS | 2005/11/22

I agree - please get a second opinion. I also have a retorverted uterus. Apprently about 20% of women do. I am now 9 weeks pregrnant and the only problem it has caused is some difficulty getting nice scans. My doctor has not yet told me I would need to have a caesar. Apparently a large portion will correct naturally during pregnancy due to the volume of the baby.

Reply to PS
Posted by: Maya | 2005/11/21

I really think you should get a second opinion. That sounds like far too many things that she wants to do to you. I have a retroverted uterus and this doesn't mean anything. You can have a baby just like someone with a normal uterus!! Do not let them correct it, you could be doing more damage than good, and I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with it!! My gynae told me I will probably just have to have a ceserian with my baby, because of my retroverted uterus. Go for a second opinion

Reply to Maya