Question
Posted by: Sam | 2004/12/21

PCOS and ovulation

i have been daignosed with PCOS and my periods are on and off, my question is if you have PCOS and get your cycle normally does that mean that you have ovulated, I have gotten my period for the past 2 months (30 day cycle_without the use of any drugs after not having it for 3 months and have also taken clomid for the last 2 months as well. i hope this month will be my month.

If you have taken Clomid for the past two months and then had regular periods, it probably means that the Clomid has induced ovulation. The only way to know for sure though is with scans and hormone measurements.

3
Posted by: Sam | 2004/12/21

Thanks for the advise, i am not insulant resistant, and i have been going once a month to the gynae for the last 2 months when i get my cycle and he also checks if my ovaries are enlarged. I just finished my second round of clomid and will be going back to him of i see my period again.
I will ask him to arrange that i do a transvaginal scan when i see him next as its a bit late and my period is due next week

Thanks again for the support, everytime i log a question i learn alot which makes me feel more comfortable when i see the gynae and questions to ask him

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Sun | 2004/12/21

Hi Sam

As FH said a period is not necessarily an indication of ovulation especilally in women with PCO. The only way to determine the exact time of ovulation is with a transvaginal scan, it can determine if and when you will ovulate and can measure the follicles to their exact mm.

Clomid is often prescribed for woemn with PCO as it induces ovulation. It is however important that you are closely monitored on clomid and it also increases the risk of multiples in women with PCO. If clomid is unsuccesful you will then be moved onto the injectable drugs like pergonal, gonal f or menogon. However clomid is always the first point of call in PCO women and many achieve a pregnancy. Hoever it is important that you are with an experienced RE or gynae. They will probably also prescribe glucophage for you if you are IR.

Good Luck
Sun

Reply to Sun
Posted by: FH | 2004/12/21

Hi Sam

Even if you have menstruated (even regularly) it does not mean that you have ovulated. Your chances of having ovulated are a lot higher because ou are taking Clomid. The only sure fire way to make sure that have ovulated is a blood test around day 14 of your cycle to test your LH and FSH hormone levels.

I have read on the net somewhere that Clomid isn't the best choice for women with PCOS, but who knows how true the stuff on the net is. The same site said that the better option would be Pergonal or Meno- something or the other which is given in injectable form only.

I would suggest that you discuss that with the gynae that prescribed the Clomid.

Out of curiosity, how is your PCOS condition being treated, if not with medication ?

Reply to FH