Posted by: Lee | 2008/10/24

PCOS &  using an Ovulation kit-

Hi Doc,

Please advise. I have PCOS &  have very irregular periods. I recently decided to bought an ovulation predictor 7 day test kit. I used one of the tests last week and it was negative. I have just been watching my secretions and during this week they have changed from the creamy thicker mucus to the clearer, more like the white of an egg type. I just decided to take the test again a few minutes ago. It showed positive for LH. The test line was darker than the control line.

Can these tests be used by someone with PCOS? Can I have positive results like this but never ovulate?

Please advise.

Dear Lee

Someone with PCOS can use ovulation test kits. However theses commercially available kits do have a small percentage of either being falsely positive or falsely negative. Though therefore it is likely that a positive occurs and you don’t ovulate. A more accurate measurement of seeing if ovulation is taking place is to do serial ultrasound measurements of follicular size. This can be done by your gynaecologist.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo