Question
Posted by: Mrs A | 2007/05/30

PCOS

Hi I am a 32year old female. when i was in my early twenties i started to have irregular periods. i also had an acne problem and hirsuitism. the doctor put me on the pill diane which sorted out the acne but when i stopped it my periods was once again irregular. I did go to a gynie and my check up showed that i did not have any cysts and my ovaries were all normal size but i was told that if i want to, i should take one glucophage tablet a day to control my weight as my body showed a slight increase in insulin production. this was around 2003. my periods were still irregular and a Gp put me on the pill triphasal for 3 months to get that regulated(2004). since 2004 my periods have been regular although the cycle lengths sometimes vary. my acne is no longer a problem but i apparently don't ovulate. i produce too little progestrone in the luteal phase and i am on my second month of clomid 100mg now. in the first month of clomid i could not detect any ovulation with tests that i did at home. is it possible to be diagnosed with PCOS without having any cysts or without having irregular periods? is it possble to have a luteal phase defect and be PCOS at the same time? i have had unprotected intercourse since 2004 with no luck in falling pregnant. i am not diabetic and my weight is under control. i weigh 57kg and my height is 1.57m. i recently found out that i have subclinical hypothyroidism and i am on a 6 month course of 0.05mg of eltroxin. i am on eltoxin for three months now and i am less tired now and i no longer have very painful menstrual cramps that i used to have. seems like everything is wrong with me!!!!!

Dear Mrs A

All the symptoms that you described are perfectly in keeping with PCOS including the thyroid problem and the insulin resistance. I also would assume that all other factors have been investigated and are normal. My advice would be ovulation induction using injectables and careful ultrasound monitoring. The fact that your cycles have become more regular does not necessarily imply that your condition is improving. On the contrary it may be an indication of a more severe PCOS with more rapid build up of the endometrium and more rapid/frequent breakdown of this endometrium in the form of so-called menstrual bleed. I would suggest urgent intervention before the problem becomes more complicated. In some cases where ovarian resistance will be encountered it may be necessary to proceed to Invitro fertilisation.