Question
Posted by: wannna be mum | 2004/01/16

pcos

i've just been diagnosed with pcos and my doc has prescribed me with glucophage to decrease my insulin levels. i've been off the pill for 11 mths and trying to fall pregnant. will this assist in me falling pregnant and what elkse can i do to solve this. is there a specific diet plan that i should be following?

Glucophage sometimes solves ovulation problems without any additional treatment. The thing to do is to check whether you are ovulating now. If not, further treatment may be needed. The diet to follow would be similar to a diabetic diet. DietDoc can help you with this.

2
Posted by: Lientjie | 2004/01/16

Hi wanna be mum!

I don't know if gluchphage will help you to fall pregnant or if it will just treat the symptoms because my doctor explained to me that there isn't a cure for PCOS, but it seems that they can treat it quit succesfully. They diagnosed me in November with PCOS, and we have been trying for a year to have a baby. My gynae prescribed Duphaston to help me to get a period and that seems to work, and she also referred me to a Dr. Hester Visagie in the Mayo Clinic (who is a qualified dr. and a dietician specialising in helping people with PCOS) who worked out an eating plan for me. She said the next step will be to prescribe clomid to help me to ovulate. Do you have all the symptoms? I don't really need to lose weight, but she suggested maybe 3 kg. I do however have al the other symptons; very hairy, acne, no menses etc. If you do a search on the Web for PCOS diet, there are quit a few sites, and it all boils down to - cutting down on carbs (and I love bread, pasta, potato....). Did they do all the blood tests and sonars for you?

All the best,

Reply to Lientjie
Posted by: PCOS & PREGNANT | 2004/01/16

hI,

I was also diagnosed with PCOS two years ago and struggle to conceive. However I am seven weeks preganant today. First I was also put on metformin which is the same is the tye prescribe to you it mormalises my cycles but nothing happend so I was moved to clomids a fertility drug the first month I got pregnant but miscarriage at 5 weeks so this is the second time after 5 months so I hope for the best. In the meantime try to follow a low glymix index diet . There are also some nice books like " eet slim & bly slank which is good for us with PCOS.sO DON'T KEEP UP HOPE. Hope this help.

Reply to PCOS & PREGNANT