Question
Posted by: sopbeen | 2007/05/11

Pay

I have been working at the same place for 4 year now.My boss started to implement a pay by the hour structure.He said our remuneration INCLUDES our sick leave, holidays, normal leave and over time.so which means when its a holiday and i dont work i dont get payed.if i work the holiday or over weekends i get payed for that day but not DOUBLE.i cannot get sick otherwise i cannot get payed.I would just like to know if this is normal practice or is he screwing with us.Thanks!!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

It is important to read the contract of employment carefully in order to ascertain what the definition of remuneration is. Remuneration normally does not normally include sick leave, holidays and normal leave. Working on Sundays would be one and a half times and working on public holidays, double.

MICHAEL BAGRAIM

2
Posted by: Spartikus | 2007/05/30

You are being screwed with the hourly rate that includes public holidays.

Reply to Spartikus
Posted by: jb | 2007/05/11

If he paid you a salary and first, he cannot change it to by the hou, that it "unilateral changes in employment" and sick leave and normal leave is not a bonus you get for working, he has to give you 15 Normal leave days per year, or he is breaking the act on basic employment conditions, he also has to give you 36 sick leave on a 36 months cycle. It is against the law if he does not do this. But if you signed a contract that states you are an independent contractor he can do as you wish because you may not be regardes as an "employee" according to the act. Remember only defined "employees" are protected by the act.

Reply to jb