Question
Posted by: Nixx | 2007/04/19

Paula(or anyone who can help) - my friend has a question

Message from my friend :-

BTW, can you do me a favour?? I am trying to find out what the risks are, if any if I wanted to have my c-section at 39 wks as opposed to 38 wks. I really want to wait til 20 / 6 / 07 and the doc wants to do it on the 13th… obviously, I don’t want to spend my anniversary in hospital! Anyway, the only thing the doc says is … we’ll see and she doesn’t want to wait cos I could go into labour. And I am wondering what the problem is… I mean if I go into labour won’t they just do the c-section. What would happen if I went into labour b4 the 13th? If there is any website or friend with advice… I would love to hear it!

Expert ImageForumArchive

Unfortunately this is only something you own healthcare provider can assist you with as he/she is the only one that knows your specific needs.

Health Admin

5
Posted by: Dee | 2007/04/20

Hi Nixx,

I am officially due on 11 July.
We scheduled my c-sec for 07 July. !!!! That is only 4 days before my actual due date. !!!! And we live 45 min from the hospital. Talk about close for comfort hey! My doc will be monitoring me, and if we need to, we will schedule the C-sec earlier.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Nixx | 2007/04/20

Thanks so much guys - really appreciate it!!

Reply to Nixx
Posted by: Paula | 2007/04/19

Hiya

Babies are considered term any time from 38 weeks. So that’s why gynaes schedule elective Caesars from 38+ weeks. One of the dangers with that is if mum’s dates have been miscalculated there there’s a small risk that baby will be born too early and will then be a prem baby. However, scans are used very efficiently to determinate the gestational age of the baby, so an accidental perm birth is unlikely.

Most gynaes have specifics days during the week when they schedule their surgeries, so elective Caesars (and other gynecological ops) are performed on those specific date. If your friend goes into labour before her scheduled Caesar date, then she should call the hospital immediately and go straight in. She’ll be bumped up the list and her Caesar will then be classified as an emergency.

Remember that neither mum’s body nor her baby know what the Caesar date is and will continue along until the labour hormones kick in and labour starts spontaneously. So if your friend’s Caesar is scheduled for 39 weeks and she happens to go into labour, all labour hormones are an added bonus for baby!

Luv
Paula
x

Reply to Paula
Posted by: Shez | 2007/04/19

This what I was worried as I opted for an elective csection and under no circumstances did I want a natural even if my waters broke before the csec date.

My gyane said, they will still do the csection if u go into early labour, but it will just be classified as an emergency csection.

Nixx - My csec was planned for 12 July. On our wedding anniversary, 5 July I was admitted into hospital and she was born the next day. So I understand your friends concerns.

Reply to Shez
Posted by: Norma | 2007/04/19

I asked my doc to do my c-section a week later, I'll be almost 39weeks then. He said it's fine.

I would also like to know what will happen if labour starts before your scheduled date????

Reply to Norma