Question
Posted by: Jess | 2008/05/21

Patrick Holford diet (kids with ADD)

I am currently reading Patrick Holfords 'Optimum Nutrition for your childs mind' and in the book he recommends certain foods, one being tuna, but not the canned version, which can be bought in steaks. He also mentions sardines, which are brilliant for a number of reasons, but I have never seen them in any other form except canned. He doesnt mention if they should be canned or not. What do you think of canned sardines (not flavoured) are they laden with salt and preservatives? If so, how else do you purchase and prepare them?
Just a word to any mothers out there struggling with their children in any way ie. ADD, Hyperactivity, poor attention span, poor memory, learning problems etc. Do yourself a huge favour and purchase this book, it is absolutely amazing and you will never want to feed your children the processed garbage that we have been doing for so long. It will open your eyes and your children will be different people, this is the most amazing book I have ever read! My child has calmed down and has better memory in just a week of changing his diet!

Dear Jess
I am glad that your child is responding so well to the change in diet - removal of artificial colourants, flavourants and preservatives helps a great deal as does supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids derived from foods like the tuna and sardines. You can actually buy fresh or frozen sardines at fish shops in the large cities if you live in one. The alternative is to use canned sardines which are still an excellent food being rich in high quality protein, B vitamins and omega-3 FAs. There is no reason why any preservatives need to be added to canned products including fish because the canning process prevents spoilage (which is why preservatives are added to other foods). You will have to check the sodium content on the different brands and decide which one is suitable.

1
Posted by: Nicolette | 2009/05/14

My daugther is diognoised with ADD about a month ago. We at this stage is triing to get het into a School that helps children with her symtems. I do not want her to be on any medication and therefor need to find out what tipe of diet should she be on that will help her. She is a bit overweight, and does not enjoy veggies and fruit. What should I do? Please if you could assist.
Kind Regards

Reply to Nicolette