Question
Posted by: JB | 2006/10/24

Paternity testing

My fiance has 3 yr old son from a previous marriage and is considering dna testing to see if the little one is his. He says he has his doubts because he seems to think he was not at home when she conceived. Also when she had the child she was 36 weeks and told him that her waters broke due to coughing.
We live in Limpopo and were wondering what tests would be better blood or the tests done by Genecare and where would he have to go. Thanks.

Expert ImageGeneticist

Dear JB

Sorry for the delay in my response. The test done by Genecare can be performed on a blood sample or a cheek swab. You can order a test kit from the lab at 021 4225538 or visit the office at Unitas Hospital in Pretoria at 012 6445255.

Regards, Maritha

2
Posted by: gezami | 2013/10/23

how much does it cost for pertinity test

Reply to gezami
Posted by: Kippie | 2006/12/06

Dear JB
Please consider the effect this can have on his sons life very carefully.
Can you imagine what it can do to a child emotionally if his father suddenly tells him that the only father he knew all his life is not his father?
This can cause major harm and I know that you would like to know, but the poor child is innocent and regards the only father that he ever knew as his father!

I am married to a divorced man and we know with certainty (without tests) that his daughter is not his child. However we have decided to not ever let her know this as it will completely destroy her trust and everything that goes with it. He is the father of her brother though. This can have a major effect on their lifes!

Please rethink this carefully!!

Reply to Kippie