Question
Posted by: Maya | 2007/08/07

Paternity

Good Day, I would like to find out more about paternity testing. Is there any law against it? Does it have to be done through a Court Order? Can it be done at the hospital straight after birth? What is the cost? I have read about home paternity tests, but not sure if it is available in SA or even legal or credible.
Thank you very much.

Dear Maya
There is no law against it but you can't force the father to go for a paternity test - however, the court may ask a person to prove that he is not the father of a child by going for a paternity test otherwise he may have to pay maintenance for the child.