Question
Posted by: fatty | 2007/12/10

pasta

Hi Doc. Is pasta that bad for you. I am craving macaroni & cheese, spagetti bolagnaise, etc. I eat it for lunch and dinner. I was on a strict diet (seeing a sports nutritionist) who stated that you should never eat pasta especially not at dinner. Now that my competition is over, I have gone totally off the rails. What is going on?

Dear Reader
Pasta is not that bad for you, esp if you eat wholewheat pasta or pasta made from Durum wheat (which has a low GI). What is potentially fattening is the sauces and cheeses that are added to pasta, because most of them are very high in fat (cheese, fatty mince, etc). Try making some Durum pasta with a vegetable sauce (use any vegs you like plus plenty of tomatoes (fresh or canned or puree), some garlic and oregano and sweet basil) and I promise you that this won't make you gain weight and it may help your cravings. I must say that I am surprised that a sports nutritionist should say you should not eat pasta when it is such a good source of carbs, which all athletes need as fuel and to replenish glycogen after exercise.
Enjoy