Question
Posted by: Britty | 2007/06/18

Past memories

Dear CS

Replying to Frodo's post re in laws from hell brought back a lot of bad memories regarding my in-laws. I've accepted it, coped with it and now things have changed for the better and I am truly pleased and yet why can't I forget it. Surely the fact that we are now all getting on should wipe out the past but it doesn't because I can't forget the past. Maybe the fact that it took so many years makes it difficult for me to forget. How does one cope with the memories?

One doesn't, and needn't FORGET memories of bad things that happened in the past --- what one sould aim at is rather to no longer allow those memories to cause you unhappiness or other unpleasantemotional reactions. Farr too many people feel they have to FORGET the past --- that requires brain damage. The past happened --- so long as we remember it is in the [ast and refuse to allow it to trouble us now, there is no need to forget. This is where CBT counselling could help one to snip off the emotional discomfort you have at present still attached to those memories

1
Posted by: Britty | 2007/06/20

Thanks CS I am gong to take your advice and get CBT counselling

Reply to Britty