Question
Posted by: NaT | 2006/07/27

PASSIVE SMOKING

Dear Doc,
Please answer my question honesly.
I am 16 weeks pregnant.
Yesterday I went to Lebanese restaurant for a meal with my best friend and for about one hour I was exposed to a narquileh (shisha) smoke as many people were smoking from these (strange to me) tubes it in the restaurant. Apparently, it is a flavoured tobacco which is being smoked (in the Middle East). I only found out later that IT IS THE ACTUAL tobacco they smoke and not the flavoured herbs as I was told by the waiter. I was so upset since than about the fact that for the whole hour I was the passive smoker of this horrible tobacco and this could harm my baby's development. I am so upset that I can not sleep.
Please, tell me how this hour could affect my baby. Thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Nat

Please relax. Passive smoke is bad for baby, BUT if it only happens occasionally you don’t have to be concerned.

Just live healthy for the rest of the pregnancy and remember that anything in moderation will not harm your baby. Rest is important, so don’t let this keep you awake.

Welma

2
Posted by: Jen | 2006/10/13

Find a picture of baby in mothers womb with a cigarette in one hand and asma pump in the other. Maybe this will shock het enough.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Maddy | 2006/09/12

Sister in law 11 weeks pregnant and me 8 weeks she smokes alot and it irretates me. Can it harm the babies I need something to make her start thinking about the litte one that they expecting. Please help me on this

Reply to Maddy