Posted by: Mary | 2008/10/27

I lost my darling nine week old German Sheppard puppy today due to a parvovirus infection. I am truely devestated and want to know how pups are treated for this disease. He was atmitted last week Wednesday and received antibiotic injections and fluids injected into the neck.
The vet phoned me today to let me know that he has deteriorated and that I have to make a decision to have him put to sleep or to have an ivy put on. I decided to go with the ivy but she phoned back ten minutes later to inform me that he has died. I can' t help but feel that if he had the ivy from the start that he might have recovered? Thus the reason for my question.

Dear Mary

The standard treatment is to put the dogs on a drip, treat with antibiotics, anti-nausea drugs and drugs to protect the stomach lining.

Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/27

I' m sorry about your pup - very sad.

The ' ivy'  is actually an I.V. - an IntraVenous - which is another name for a drip. One of the first things a vet will look for in a seriously ill dog, specially a puppy, is signs of dehydration, so I' m sure that they will have kept an eye on this, and would have done this earlier if they had thought it necessary.

Parvo is not a nice thing and many dogs and pups do not recover - don' t blame yourself or the vet. It seems to me possible that the pup may have been infected before you got him - you may like to talk to the breeder and find out if the others are ok.

Reply to Chill