Question
Posted by: Belle | 2008/01/11

partial hysterectomy vs balloon therapy

I am 35, have 3 kids and had my tubes tied. I have very heavy periods, every 21 days lasting 10-12 days. I have become aneamic due to the exsessive bleeding. I have not been on the pill in years. My doc said I have two options, either balloon therapy that will reduce/eliminate the bleeding or a partial hysterectomy. (I do not want to go on the pill - because I can no longer fall pregnant, I forget to take it and hate the side effects).

Which one is better and has the least long term affects?

PS: I also experience great pain during menstruation. Will have a scan at the end of Jan to make sure everything is fine. Had a baby 10 months ago, c-section. Papsmear at the time came back fine.

The ballon therapy is less invasive but does not work in 100% of cases. If your doctor things you are suitable, it is worth a try. You can always have the hysterectomy later if you need to. The Mirena is also an option.

1
Posted by: Henrietta | 2008/05/15

I do not want to menstruate any more, I am 38 years old, would you suggest hysterectomy or miryna?

Reply to Henrietta