Question
Posted by: sarah | 2006/11/06

Parrot Concern

I have an African Grey Parrot, and have heard paint fumes can be toxic and deadly to birds. We have had some of our house painted and now Im really concerned as to what to do about my parrot. Will she be ok if the house has been ventilated all day?Please respond

Don't keep animals in the room that is being painted and ventilate the house well

5
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/07

If the painting is finished, and she's ok, then I would assume she's fine. It's not inevitable that birds will be affected, and it also doesn't depend on the type of bird - it's just that some birds tolerate some things worse than others, and that's why one can't take chances.

If there's no more painting being done, I wouldn't stress about it.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: KAZ | 2006/11/07

Where are you from?

I have an African Grey as well. If you are in the Durban area there is a old couple that stay with their son and daughter-in-law which are friends of ours, they could look after your parrot as they live in Inchanga. They have an avery that hold quails through to Macaws, we send ours there if we go away and if our neighbours can't look after him.

Do you have an outside room on your property as you could keep your parrot there while the fumes are still strong?

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Sarah | 2006/11/07

No one can look after her. It would also totally stress her out. The painting is finished and she has been on the opposite of the house at night and outside all day. We also opened windows and doors all day for as much fresh air and ventilation as possible. I just really hope no damage has already been done!

Reply to Sarah
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/06

ANY fumes can be toxic to birds. Don't ever spray anything near the bird, do not use those mosquito mats or liquids or coils, be careful even with deodorants and hairsprays. Most of all, never ever let anything coated with teflon overheat in your house - your bird will die. This is not a scare story - it's true. So, paint fumes can definitely affect the bird - not to say it will, but I wouldn't be taking any chances either.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2006/11/06

I wouldnt take the chance . Can someone look after her for a few days?

Reply to Carol