Posted by: anxious | 2008/08/26



I would like to know what can I take in place of the Paroven I have been taking for my lymphoedema of my right leg. I can no longer afford to pay for it and was wondering what I could take instead that Discovery would pay for. I tried submitting for it on acute or chronic and they threw both out! What' s new!

Neither my gp nor my vascular surgeon (who prescribed it) know at this stage that I have stopped taking it. I stopped it Sun last week (17/8) and was taking 2 a day. (250mg). I am just a bit worried the swelling is going to come back. I am still doing my daily exercises and massage.

Thanks for the help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImagePharmacist


Paroven is a schedule 1 drug. Often at this time of year, when a certain level of your medical aid benefit have been depleted, it often happens that your medical aid may decline claims on drugs that are classified schedule 2 or lower. I have a feeling this is what is happening here (They should pay again is 2009).

The important thing is that you should not go without treatment - If you cant afford the treatment, best would be to play open cards with your doctor. They are the ones who knows your history, and should be the ones making the calls on your treatment.

Best of luck!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.