Question
Posted by: Elize | 2006/10/27

Parlodel/Heavy bleeding.

Hello

In december, after a sonar, the gp saw that I have a cyst. He put me on parlodel and told me to go off the pill. Problem is usually, doesn't matter if I was on or off the pill, my period used to be tree to four days and it was very little. I used to use four tampons daily for very light flow. Now suddenly, since starting the medication, I bleed very heavily, It's so bad, I can feel the blood coming out. My period lasts a lot longer and sometimes when I have allready stopped for two days or so and I have sex, I start bleading while I'm busy and than I bleed heavily for another two days or so. I naturally have a very short cycle, so I've had four periods since taking parlodel. Except for that, I have not stopped producing milk. I only have one child and she is four and a half allready. Could it be the parlodel that is causing the heavy period's and will it normalize after a while?

An excess of prolactin, the milk producing hormone, can cause periods to be very light. If you were given Parlodel, I presume that your prolactin levels were high. As these normalise you will probably bleed more but it should not remain excessive.