Question
Posted by: Confused | 2003/02/18

Parents Divorcing

Hi there, I posted a message about a week ago. Thanks for all the replies. However, my parents has gone to a lawyer now and this asshole tells my mother she can only get a third of his salary, which is R3500-00- per month....and that's it. They are married outside community of property. I mean - she's never going to make it with that and what if he dies one day? I need GOOD advice please.

Dear confused,
You sound as if you do need good advice -- but the problem is surely a legal one, and needs legal advice and help. I have no idea of what bizarre legal principle suggests that an innocent wife and family should only claim a third of the salary of an unfaithful husband. Anyone else have suggestions ?

2
Posted by: www | 2003/02/18

Hi, I didn't read your previous posting, so I'm not 100% sure what the circumstances are, but normally, like nina says, a divorce is done to get peace of mind. If your father (or stepfather?) is still earning a salary, then you mother is also probably still earning a salary and if she's not supporting any kids anymore, then a third (or R3500) is really not that bad. I have a son of 9, been divorced for 5 years and have never received a cent. I also had to go out and make it on my own, financially and emotionally and if it is really meant to be, she'll make it through as well. You can support her emotionally - she'll need that. But don't get too involved in the actual divorce case itself - it can make you bitter and unnecessarily angry.

Reply to www
Posted by: nina | 2003/02/18

hi there

i can understand your problem but you know, i've also started over and financially is was very hard most of the time but you know what , the peace that me and the kids had was worth more that all the money in the world - when i couldn't buy them all the things they needed they understood and i make up by playing games with them and spending time with them

if you don't have money you realize how little you actually need to be happy.
don't get me wrong having no money was tough and it was hard to move to a cheaper area and they no longer had their own rooms - but even now they wouldn't change back to what we had

good luck and your mom is lucky to have a child like you

nina

Reply to nina