Question
Posted by: Keri | 2007/04/24

parenting dilemma

Please can you assist. I have a 35 month old little girl who has recently been acting very oddly. She (on a normal basis) sleeps in her own room on her own bed the entire night. Recently though (about a month) she wakes up crying for no apparent reason constantly, and eventually she ends up crawling into my bed in the early hours of the morning.
she also cries when we leave her at creche every morning... she used to love creche and cry to go to creche... now it is the complete opposite. I cannot understand why as nothing has really changed in our home environment to cause this,
she has a 17 month old brother... who stays at home with a nanny.. but that has never been a problem before.
please assist as i am not sure whether this is a normal phase or something else that could be disturbing her. Her class teacher as well mentioned that she has been a bit out of sorts recently.

I find it hard to belive that none of our other readers, who include numerous experienced and skilled mothers, have bothered to respond to your post so far --- surely some will respond later today, and I'm sure their comments wioll be useful.
For reasons that are really not well understood, normal kids do go through phases like this of a form of separation anxiety. becoming more clingy and whiny, and after a while they generally move on and stop this, before you've got round to understanding it. Burt do check with the creche whether it is possible that any events there could have upset her, and think through whether it's possible that anyone else in her life may have done something disturbing. Maybe there's a bit of sibling rivalry going on, too, as she notices that little brother stays at home and gets all the attention of the nannt.

2
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/04/24

Yes they could still get separation anxiety :-) Go to babycenter - they will tell you at what age you can expect separation anxiety...

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: keri | 2007/04/24

Thank you do much for your insight CS.. much appreciated.
do you think that an almost 3 year old could still have seperation anxiety?

Thanks again
Keri

Reply to keri