Question
Posted by: Big Girl | 2007/12/12

Parental Love

I've been married for 10yrs to an abusive and irresponsible man. We have 2 girls (9yrs and 4 yrs). The girls and I moved out of the house 8months ago and left him in the house. I filed for divorce, now the problem is that we are fighting over the girls. My lawyer has appointed a family advocate, who will then involve a child psychologist. I'm not happy about all this because I didn't want them involved but what can I do. Whilst he is happy that they will choose between us. We are going through all this because he doesn't want to settle. What type of a parent subjects their kids to this?

I can't second-guess your lawyer, but the approach sounds sensible. If the girls would indeed be better off with you, isn't it likely that the Family Adfvocate and child psychologist would see that and assist it to happen ? If he is otherwise wanting to be dificult and avoid settling, this might become the best way to get what you want, and certainly ought to be the best way to get whatever nis best for the girls