Question
Posted by: LJV | 2007/08/03

paraplegic brother depressed

recently my 21 year old brother became a paraplegic. It has taken a huge toll on our family and he is taken it badly. How do I help him? What can I do to motivate him and give him hope?

My relationship with my partner is also rocky and I just feel like I can't cope with it all. Should I ask my Doc to prescribe something to help me cope?

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Dear LJV

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I am sorry to learn about the tragedy that struck your family. To motivate your brother will be a difficult task, as this condition is devastating to everyone of us in his position. The best will be to give him as much support, physically and mentally. It will also help if he can find something to keep himself busy with and to interact with other people as much as possible. Some people with paraplegia still lives a fullfilling life.

It is not a bad idea if you take medication, i.e. a good anti-depressant for a couple of months, to help you cope. Your GP will be able to prescribe a suitable product.

Kind regards

2
Posted by: LJV | 2007/09/17

Hi Doctor

It seems as if my brother has just gone from bad to worse. The situation has become unbearable for him and he has now resorted to drugs. Prior to his accident he was a recovering crack addict and it seems as if the depression is too much for him to handle so he is back on crack.
How do I help him and do you know of a drug rehab facility in Gauteng that can accommodate paraplegics.
My family and I are worried sick and feel like we are just watching him waste away.

Reply to LJV
Posted by: LJV | 2007/08/06

Thank you for your advice Doctor. I have tried to be there for him as much as possible, but it seems as if he is just giving up. He does not want to take care of himself (pressure points, medication etc) he is in such a deep stage of depression and I am worried that he will turn to substance abuse. Is this a normal phase to go through after a trauma such as this. If he is not willing to go for councilling how can I convince him?
He is also pushing my mother away and this is affecting her deeply as well.
Thank you for your time.

Reply to LJV