Question
Posted by: Trisha | 2005/12/07

PARANOID ABOUT NEVER HAVING KID PLS HELP!!!

Hi Doc,

MY situation is as follows: I am 24 yrs old and have been with my (now hubby) for 8 yrs we've been sexually active for the past 8 yrs and I haven't been able to fall pregnant... i have had a laparoscopy & cystektomy, i have visited my gynae about a month ago and he seems to think that all is fine, although he did confirm that i do not ovulate on time. I am panick stricken that i may never fall pregnant as my mom and cousin had the same prob, they only fell pregnant at the ages of 27 and 29 respectively - is this some sort of genetic medical case? I am not ready to have a baby but i am worried that if i dont start soon i might never have the chance to. He has given me a prescription of 3 months supply of fertomid, i haven't started this yet as i would like to know whether it is a safe drug and what are the side effects. What worries me the most is that friends of mine who are having problems falling pregnant have actually conceived but miscarried somewhere down the line... I haven't even fallen pregnant once. I know that my hubby might be the host problem BUT does my not ovulating on time solely contribute to not being able to conceive. I would like to make an appointment with you sometime in 2006 as you will be on leave quite soon but in the meanwhile could you maybe give me some sort of information to put my mind at ease? THANX!

Dear Trisha

The first bit of advice I would volunteer is that you do not stress yourself and become over anxious as it is well documented that anxiety and stress is a contributory factor to fertility problems and in fact may disturb ovulatory patterns!
Secondly, I would assume that there is no tubal obstruction or tube related factors and that laproscopic findings were essentially normal, apart from the presence of an ovarian cyst. Should this be the case, than the emperic use of Fertimed is acceptable and should be safe if used in a low dosage; .i.e 50 mg (1 tablet) a day for 5 days per cycle.
However, I would caution you NOT to use the fertimed in a continous month to month basis but to have a 1 month break between treatments. Fertimed and similar drugs are usually safe if used in correct dosage, but in some cases can contribute towards the formation of ovarian cysts and also ,in very small minority of cases, result in a condition called hyper stimulation syndrome, which is actually dangerous.
In addition, I would strongly recommend that your partner be assessed with respect to sperm analysis as soon as is convenient.

1
Posted by: Trisha | 2005/12/09

Thank you doc I will consult u early next year...

Reply to Trisha