Question
Posted by: concerned | 2004/10/27

paranoid about my new kitten

I just want to find out, am I being paranoid / overly concrened about my new kitten, we got her about 2 weeks ago and were told she was 6 weeks. after about a week she stopped eating and just wanted to sleep all the time, I took her to a vet who said she had a temp,gave her some injections and a de-worming spray. we took her back the next day, the temp was gone so her told us it was just a bad cause of a runny tummy. he told us not to feed her whiskas, so she's been eating the royal canin - baby cat food. she's was fine for about a week, so we took her back for her 1st vaccination. about 3 days ago she stopped eating again, after about 1 and a half days she started again and now seems back to normal - doesn't seem to like the food too much though. I've now started to think she might be a little younger than we thought.
should I be concerned about anything or is this normal for a kitten? will the vaccinations harm her if she's too small??
Please help, I know I must seem clueless, but I just want to make sure.

The vaccinations will not do any harm, but may not be fully effective if she was too young and still carrying a lot of antibodies that she receives from the mother. In that case, an additional vaccination may be necessary. The variable appetite is a sign of illness, but as long as it has recovered and continues to eat well from now on, then there is nothing to worry about. If she again loses her appetite for more than a day or so, she again needs assistance from your veterinarian. Small kittens do not have a lot of reserves and cannot go without food too long.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/27

I agree with Lucia ... and also baby kitties eat minute amounts of food ...and yes she may be a bit younger than u thought but dont worry she will sooon catch on ... I often start baby kitties on leftovers mixed with their food .. tinned baby pamper with a little rice and veggies etc .. it seems to stop the little devils getting too fussy

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/10/27

Hi concerned,

You know what - you are not paranoid or overly protective or any of those - you are one helluva pet owner. You know something is wrong and you take your kitten to the vet - great for you. As long as the vet is not concerned, then you can relax a little as well. It is very similar to being a first time parent - nothing more scary than knowing your brand new baby is battling to breath through a snotty nose, so you take him/her to the peadiatrician even it is just for the pead. to show you how to clean the baby's nose. I always say rather cautious than sorry.

It does sound a bit like this kitten is maybe a bit fussy about her food - just persevere. As far as the jabs are concerned, don't worry, a vet would never give an animal any medications or vacinations if they thought she was too young.

Good luck and tell that little fur ball she is one lucky little kitten to have a parent like you.

Reply to Lucia