Question
Posted by: hvdb | 2007/06/13

paranoid?

I am 24 yrs old with two small toddlers. My whole life I have never really had any problems. 10 months ago my uterus was lifted as it "dropped". Everything seemded to be fine. about 5 months ago, my periods seem to get more painful than ever before. The first two days are extremely heavy, i need to go and change about every two hours and sometimes it even goes to my pants. I have always had a normal period, but not anymore. Even after my period has gone my ovaries still feel sore. This last time i was late 5 days, never happend before. I feel alot of neusea for the past 2 weeks for no apparent reason. And have picked up 5kg in less than 3 months. Not that i am complaining as i have struggled to pick up even a kilogram all my life.
I have been to the gyn yesterday, he 2 hours behind on schedule and i am not feeling quite happy with his response. He did a papsmear and an inernal sonar, but it was in there for literally about 3 seconds, you could even make out what the image was on the screen. He said everything is fine and is he putting me on a light pill for three months just to get my period back on track.

Am i just being paranoid?

Dear HVDB
I don't think you are being paranoid. I wonder if you should not just ask your GP to also check your thyroid hormone levels and if the gyne did not examine you internally I would ask the GP to feel if the ovaries and the uterus feel normal. You also need a full blood count to see if your clotting factors are normal and if you do not have anemia. IF you feel unhappy about the quality of the sonar, rather ask your GP to refer you to a sonar specialist near you to do a proper sonar.
Sometimes operations on the uterus or tubes, ovarian cysts or polyps in the uterus can affect the menstrual pattern.