Question
Posted by: Angela | 2007/04/26

PARAKERATOTIC HYPERKERATOSIS

I'm looking for information on the above. This was the result on my dog's biopsy report. I'd like to educate myself on her condition. Where on the web can I read up about it?

Please provide more information. It would appear there is thickening of the skin - where is the lesion, what does it look like and how long has it ben there. How old is the animal? Thanks.

1
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/26

Found this on the internet hope it helps:
Suspected or confirmed hereditary keratinisation defects

Hair follicle is unproductive because of hyperkeratosis.

1. Deficiencies

EFA deficiency could be a cause of abnormal keratinisation resulting in alopecia. However, true EFA deficiency is rare since most pets are correctly fed nowadays.

Vitamine A deficiency (vitamin A responsive dermatosis) is mainly seen in -|- er spaniels. Follicular orthokeratotic hyperkeratosis explains alopecia seen in this very seborrhoeic skin disease.

Zinc deficiency is seen mainly in Nordic breeds. Parakeratotic hyperkeratosis is seen on the surface of the epidermis and inside the hair follicle as well. The latter may explain the hair loss.

2. Ichthyosis

Although a genetic condition, this disease generates alopecia because of hyperkeratosis which affects also the hair follicle rather than by a follicular atrophy.

3. Idiopathic acanthosis nigricans

This condition is seen in the Dachshund and must be differentiated from acanthosis nigricans secondary to allergic skin disease, endocrinopathies, obesity or visceral neoplasia. There is a bilateral alopecia associated to lichenification and hyperpigmentation of the ventral aspect of the body (particularly the axillae) and the face, ear pinnae and limbs. Seborrhoea is usually severe. Hyperplastic superficial dermatitis, epidermal melanosis and pigmentary incontinence are associated to follicular keratosis. The disease may be controlled by topical antiseborrhoeic therapy and long-term low-dose steroid therapy.

4. Idiopathic hyperplastic dermatitis

This rare and controversial condition is probably a hereditary disorder. It is mainly seen in West Highland White Terriers but could also exist in other breeds (Scottish terrier, Wire-haired fox terriers, Newfoundlands). Parakeratotic hyperkeratosis is associated to other histopathological features, such as irregular acanthosis and prominent hyperplasia of basal cell layer. Secondary Malassezia pachydermatis infection is very frequent in West Highland white Terriers, but antifungal therapy is only partially beneficial. Retinoids could be useful in some cases.

Joni

Reply to Joni