Question
Posted by: mmina | 2005/12/01

Papsmeer

After the birth of my son i did not go to my gynae for the "papsmeer" check up. will it affect my health along the run?

It does not matter that you did not have the pap smear after delivery, but you should have them once every 1-2 years.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2005/12/01

You should have a pap smear every year. it detects pre cancerous cells so that they can be removed before you actually develop cancer of the cervix.

If you missed it, make an appointment for sometimes soon - early in the new year and go for a pap smear now.

The 6 week check up after giving birth isn't just a pap smear. The doctor checks that you are healing properly and if you have had a c-section they check the scar. They refer you for help if they think you have post natal depression, and they refer you for help with breast feeding if you need it.

Reply to Purple