Question
Posted by: MOON | 2006/07/31

PAPSMEAR

I feel rather pertubed today - I went to my gynea on 20.8.2006 for a papsmear and as I have not heard from them todate phoned, only to be told that I have to go back in 3 months time for another smear due to a very minor abnormality. I asked the gynea why nobody has phoned me and told me this and he said that it is up to me to phone them to get the results? So in other words, if I did not phone, assuming that all was fine as I have not heard from them, I would not have known about the followup in 3 months time? What if it turns into something serious? Surely it is the doctor's duty to inform his patient of the need for a follow-up when the results of a smear shows a "minor abnormality"? Or am I wrong?

I agree that your doctor should have informed you.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2006/07/31

My Gynae always tells me that he will phone me if there is anything outof the ordinarey, and if I dont hear from him its because the test is normal. He has never told/asked me to follow up by phoning his rooms for the results. The one time that the results were abnormal he phoned me as soon as he had the results, to tell me what to do and not to worry!

Reply to Lou