Posted by: Bo | 2005/07/25


Hi ladies..
I am really puzzled, why is it only ladies who are sexually active should have a papsmear..can a virgin person also have a papsmear done..i am experiencing alot of pain in my abdomen espeacially when i am on my periods..i am still a vrigin..will a papsmear help to find out what is wrong with me?..

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

If you have never been sexually active, cancer of the cervix which is what pap smears detect, would be very rare. It also does not present with pain, so a pap smear will not really help. If the pain is only there on the first day of your period, try Ponstan.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/25

I agree with Dee. A papsmear is to usually check the cells for cancer or any infection. If the cramps are caused from cysts or something like that then a papsmear won't pick it up.

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - go see your doctor & he/she will know what to do.

Reply to SLC
Posted by: Dee | 2005/07/25

They will most probably do a sonar scan

Reply to Dee
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/25

You should see a gynae & he/she will be able to determine what the problem is. They may or may not do a pap smear - I don't know.

Reply to SLC

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.