Question
Posted by: Seek help | 2007/08/21

Pap Smear results, please help!

Good Day,

I just received the results of my pap smear and it says that "no abnormal cells, but Parakeratosis is present. What is the meaning of that? My Gynae is away until after 2 weeks and I cannot wait for him. I am very stressed at the moment.
I have severe lower addominal pains that's why the doctor asked me to do Pap Smear.. Please help!

Dear Seek help

I suggest you refer this question to the gynae doc on this panel.

1

Hi, I googled it for you, hope this helps some (it doesn't seem too serious):

Parakeratosis is a thickening -- a buildup of cells, very much like a scale. Parakeratosis is often associated with chronic irritation and inflammation. This can occur due to a chronic yeast infection, for example, or if the uterus is prolapsed and the cervix, therefore, is pushed down to the vaginal opening, where it can more easily become inflamed. Using a diaphragm may lead to parakeratosis. Although it is possible that frequent prolonged tampon use might be a factor, using a tampon for a couple of days a month does not usually cause parakeratosis.