Question
Posted by: Michele | 2006/10/25

PAP SMEAR AFTER HYSTERECTOMY?

I had my hysterectomy about 12 years ago and I have continued to have a pap smear, etc. every year. Recently I changed to a clinic closer to home and the new doctor said that it was unnecessary to have a pap smear after a hysterectomy as I don't have a cervix, but have a reconstructed "cervix". I asked why did the doctors do the smear then as they all knew about my hysterectomy and she replied that they all like making money! It is logical but I just cannot believe that so many doctors would do this. Who is the idiot?

If you have had a hysterectomy, there is no cervix to pap. Unless you had the hysterectomy for cancer, there is no need for pap smears.