Question
Posted by: DD | 2006/11/02

Pap smear abnormal cells

I have jsut had a pap smear and the doctor has come back with the results which indicate that i have abnormal cells, in the pre-cancerous stage. For my own peace of mind, please can you indicate to me the possible liklihood of the cells becoming cancerous as well as the commonality of this type of condition. Thank you very much, DD

The condition is very common. If left untreated, the cells will become cancerous but this usually takes several years. Treatment will prevent this happening.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2006/11/02

The doc will do one of two things - if he thinks the cell abnormality is severe enough, he will book you for a short procedure to remove the affected cells and send them to the lab to make sure all abnormal cells have been taken out, or he will ask you to come back in 3-6 months for another pap to see if the cells are still abnormal.
It is hugely common and generally caused by HPV (Human Papilloma VIrus) - dont stress too much, just follow your gynae's advice. Millions of women get this every year.

Reply to Lou