Question
Posted by: Angie | 2008/01/02

Pap smear

Im 20,have never gone for a pap smear.
I am sexually active and not on any birthcontrol.

Is it totally necessary to have it done as i am afraid of going but have been told that every women should go for a pap once a yr.
My friends have told me that they use some metal plate thing to open ur vagina and that its really unpleasant.

Is this correct?
And is it necessary to go for this

You should have a pap smear in the next 2-3 years. It is unpleasant but should not be painful if you are sexually active. It picks up cervical cancer in the early stages.

1
Posted by: Denise | 2008/01/03

Yes it is really necessary to go once you are sexually active. THe Pap Smear is only to prevent ovarian cancer in its earliest stage. So if you are serious about you health , go and make an appointment as soon as possible. The experience of the pap smear is slightly unpleasant, but it is not hurtful or anything. The second time you go, it will be less stressful. And you should go on a birth control.

Reply to Denise