Question
Posted by: JD | 2005/12/02

pAP sMEAR

What is a pap smear and does it hurt. I am 19 and really don't know about having myself checked properly. I have noticed strange bodily changes and discharge so I supposed a meeting with a gynea is in order.Am I right. But I don't know what to expect.

I hope that the other respondents have helped.

3
Posted by: Amoré | 2005/12/02

It really sounds worse than it is, but in short the following will happen: The docter will insert an instrument in your vagina to be able to see your cervix clearly (the opening to your woumb). A small sample of the cells will be taken to be analized (the pap smear). It is a bit uncomfortable, but over soon. Therafter the docter will insirt a finger to feel if everything feels ok (while pressing with his hand on your tummy). Usually they also do a breast examination. And that is about it!

Good luck!

Reply to Amoré
Posted by: jd | 2005/12/02

thanks I feel less worried, but what does he do?

Reply to jd
Posted by: RAF | 2005/12/02

Hi- You should be checked out. It doesn't hurt-period pain is a lot worse. If it is your first visit-he hould talk you though it step by step so you don't get any surprises. Just think how many times he does it a day-and you won't feel self consious. Good Luck.

Reply to RAF