Question
Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/08

PANIC/ANXIETY DISORDER

Dear CB, I have repeated panic attacks whilst driving and it has increased to the extent that I am no longer able to drive to work! I am not in favour of seeing a psychologist and spending hours crying in their consulting rooms. Firstly What safe medication (preferably homeopathic) can I take to assist in calming me down, Secondly what type of CBT exercises could I do to help myself. My husband is very supportive and will do anything to help.

Panic attacks anywhere can be very troublesome, of course. and though at first they are usually random, because one can fear a further attack whenever one is in circumstances similar to those when the last one happened, one can become very anxious even when not actually having a panic attack.
Absolutely no form of homeopathic remedy is ever of the least use in a conition like this. Any psychologist would probably be rather annoyed if you insisted on "spendin hours crying in their consulting rooms"
Panic attacks can be highly successfully treated in either of two ways, or maybe even better, by a combination of both. One is the use of certain medicinal rugs, including some of the modern ones more often used to treat depression, but very effective here ; the other way is to use a psychologist using Behaviour Therapy, which should involve no crying at all, but deals strictly wih the behaviors that are troublesome.
As for CBT, I am hunting for a promised book on self-help methods of using CBT techniques to deal with panic, and will announce its availability and suitability here on this site, when I've aranged this.
Excellent that you have such a supportive husband. Maybe aim at seeking the medication first, and then we may ad the book and CBT exercises next.

1
Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/09

Dear CS - thx so much for your response. I tend to agree with you that at this stage obtaining appropriate medication will certainly assist in getting me over the first hurdle. Its just that I tend to be quite emotional but guess that some tears will be unavoidable. I have spent some time analysing my condition and have realised that I've had this condition for many years. The symptoms have come & gone in diff forms & at diff levels, this time round is the most severe. 10-12 yrs ago I had obtained treatment using the Tomatis method - very effective.
Does any Psych in Jo'burg use this method?

Reply to Dino