Question
Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/11

PANIC DISORDER

Dear CS, I took your advice and visited a GP today who prescribed Xanor. Actually a severe panic attack en route to work this morning forced me to get help immediately - and not later in the day as originally planned. He has booked me off work for at least two weeks and referred me to a psychologist (specialising in panic/anxiety disorder) for treatment. I meet with her tomorrow. He advised my husband and I that he has treated a large number of patients with the same problem. Fear of driving being the most common symptom. I will keep you informed of my progress so that this may assist others with the same problems.

Dear Dino,
I'm really pleased to hear that you've taken the first steps towards solving this problem. Xanor may help relieve the symptoms while your psychologist helps you remove the basis for the symptoms being there at all. I don't like people remaining on Xanor long-term ( beyond a few months ) so if by that stage it's felt that you need any further medication at all, then it might be best to gently come off the Xanor and consider one of the SSRI antidepressants, which can control the symptoms in a different way, without the possibility of dependency.