Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2004/10/14

PANIC ATTACKS - Scared - Cant Sleep! What to do?

Hi there,

This past winter, as i was lying down to sleep, i experienced some sort of aniety attacks (happend 6 times or so) which scared me terribly!! I had never experiernced something like that before - and i dont want it to happen again! The symptoms were:
Racing heart, tingling all over my body, uncontollable shaking, chest pains, feeling of unreality. I thought i was having a heart attack or something..
It happend about 5 times this past winter, and went away for three months or so. I've been so good. I stopped smoking (4 months now) i am eating properly - i but last night i had another one. I dont understand why this is happening to me?
It scares me - what can i do to calm down in that situation?, is there something i could get from the chemist to calm me down if it happens again? What do you reccommend? Any adive i'll be grateful for...

Many thanks...
Shelly

Well, Shelly, these certainly sound like anxiety / panic attacks, which respond excellently to treatment including medication. They are very frightening to experience, and usually arise for chemical reasons, with no other good reason for them. Nothing from the chemist without prescription is likely to help them usefully, but see your doctor, who can prescribe any of several options, which really can help greatly, such as modern antidepressants which damp down panic attacks and such severe anxiety.