Question
Posted by: Panic Mechanic | 2004/03/10

Panic attacks or not

Hi Doc,
Need your help here. For a few years I had always thought I was suffering from panic attacks - symptoms such as heart pains, fear, anxiety, heart palpitations, hyperventilating etc.
I went to the doc the other day and he noticed that my heart and pulse rate were too high. He gave me beta-blocker to help my heart and has sent me for blood tests. He wants to rule out the possiblity of it being an over-active thyroid gland.
My question is,in your opinion is an over-active thyroid gland dangerous? I dont know of anyone who has it. Is it manageable?

PM, an over active thyroid is manageable by means of medicine or surgery and is not dangerous if treated properly. It might be the cause of symptoms that look a lot like those of a panic attack. I doubt that it’s the case here as it has been going on too long. The best would be to wait for the results and take it from there. Good luck.