Question
Posted by: Aloe Vera | 2008/01/29

Panic Attacks and Food

Hi Dietdoc

Please can you tell me if any foods or medication that you specifically know of contribute to or cause panic attacks?

Someone told me an acidic system goes hand in hand with a panic attack?

Are there any foods specifically that one can eat to increase your chances of not having one?

I cannot afford to go to a dietician at the moment so any advice you have would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you and regards
Aoe Vera

Dear Aloe Vera
I have not heard that any specific foods can cause panic attacks unless there is a very negative connotation with a given food. For example, let's say you are scared of vomiting and have vomited once in the past when you are a specific food. Seeing that food would then in future make you feel panicky. The pH of the body should not affect how you react to foods. I hope that you are seeing a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist for the panic attacks so that you can determine what underlying fear is causing them.

2
Posted by: Panic Sufferer | 2008/01/30

Avoid anything with caffiene - No coffee, energy drinks, chocolate, coke etc, also avoid alcohol at all costs.

I notice that I have major panic attacks if I consume any of these - caffiene makes you hyper and mimics an attack (elevated heart rate) - the alcohol is a depressant, while you feel ok drinking it, the minute you stop and start to sober up your mood dips, your seratonin level drops and you are more prone to panic

Reply to Panic Sufferer
Posted by: Ria | 2008/01/30

I found that food with fibre make me very bloated, then my stomach pushes up to my heart and that make me anxious, I think that trigger my panic attacks. Since avoid anything that make me feel bloated, brown bread, onion, ext, the panic attacks disappeared

Reply to Ria