Question
Posted by: anna | 2009/10/16

panic attacks

Dear CyberShrink

I have experienced three panic attacks in my life, and two of them were over the last week. Is there any way to manage this with medication? I am aware of what is happening, and if I could just have some breathing exercise, or something, then I know I' d be able to manage it. Thank you

Hello Anna,
There are several efefctive ways to manage panic attacks, and what goes along with them ( as many people find the suspence of worrying when the next panic attack might come, becomes a real problem in its own ).
It is wisest to see a good local shrink for assessment and a discussion of the treatment options. The two main ways to treat it are (a) medication, best using drugs also used to treat Depression; and (CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which helps you to learn how to control such symptoms ( rather like the breathing exercises you mention, and more ), and the negative thoughts that are part of panic, and the disorder may even fade away.

1

Hello Anna,