Question
Posted by: icp | 2004/10/08

panic attacks

I have recently given up drinking and seem to have a problem.I am the marketing manager of a bar franchise and everytime i see a new customer or rep or person looking for work i have a panic attack.Heart starts beating double time,start sweating,shaking,heart racing that i find it virtually impossible to breathe and talk back.This is not a good thing as these people dont know whats going on most of the time i leave the room and splash water on my face and tell them i had a big drinking session the night before and probably have alcohol poisoning.This is getting very embarrising and i keep on stressing of the thought of meeting people.It is a very important part of my job interacting with suppluers,reps,my staff etc

PLEASE help
Confused , very

Interesting, icp,
Sounds like panic attacks, or at least, very similarly, attacks of severe anxiety. But whereas typical Panic Disorder produces attacks that come out of the blue, unpredictably ( though one tends, looking to explain them, to come to fear situations in which they have occurred ) ; and this sounds like anxiety attacks related to specific situations, more like a developing phobia, in specific social situations, of new cstomers, reps, job-seekers.
The good news is that it is very treatable, and very successfully, too.
See a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and treatment advice. Some drugs, including some of the newer antidepressants, can help a great deal ; as can psychological Behavior therapy, including learning to control the panicky feelings of severe anxiety, and to de-fuse the situation-triggers than are setting it off, and CBT ) Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, with similar techniques, more focussed on the neative automatic thoughts that come to mind when one of the4se situations begins.