Question
Posted by: Loosing it | 2004/01/16

PANIC ATTACKS

Hi Doc, firstly i want to thank you for your help as i have successfully conquered my Fear of Death when having heart palpitations etc. I no longer think i'm gonna die etc.

I do still get panic attacks everytime i get in my car.... (maybe i need a new bigger car!!) It feels like i cant breathe, as if the breaths i take doesnt satisfy my lungs! I breath more, i yawn, i go dizzy. I know you said there was a medicine that could help these panic/anxiety attacks. Can i get this from a GP, or do i have to go to a psychiatrist?

Thanx

Dear Loosing it,
Congratulations ! I'm delighted to hear that you'be already managed to beat that awful fear of death during the attacks. Excellent !
There's really no harm in seeing a psychiatrist, as there are several approaches which could help your smptoms, including psychological as well as pills. ut the SSRI antidepresants ( like Fluoxetine / Prozac or better its cheaper equivalents, or Cilift, can help a lot, and GP's can prescribe them. Also betablockers, which GPs probably prescribe more than shrinks, are useful in controlling some or many of the physical symptoms,

2
Posted by: Tigger | 2004/01/18

Hi there, "Dear losing it"

Don't despair, I have been through this for about a year and a half now. And let me tell you..this much........don't listen to people.......Panic attacks...we call them "flight or fight" responses. We tend to be very edgy, start feeling all dizzy, cannot sleep, cannot breathe, feel as if though you gonna die, or sometimes feel like going crazy. Hey! i have been through all this....and you know what? You can as well. I f you need would like to talk about this....send me an email and I will glady be of help to you.

Reply to Tigger
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/01/16

Dear "Losing It" and the Shrink: is this not perhaps a case of mitral valve prolapse syndrome? (Barlow's Syndrome). I've had this probably since childhood but it wasn't discovered until I was in my 30's. Panic attacks, heart flutters, palpitations, all are part of this syndrome. Should "Losing it" not discuss this with a medical doc first before resorting to anti-depression pills?

Reply to Zeena